- Francona: Allen 'one of the best competitors'by Rhett Bollinger on February 19, 2019 at 11:44 pm
The Angels have a new closer in Cody Allen and there isn't any manager in baseball who knows him better than Indians skipper Terry Francona.
- Angels, Lucroy ready to make adjustmentsby Rhett Bollinger on February 19, 2019 at 9:17 pm
The Angels believe they can help newly acquired catcher Jonathan Lucroy improve both offensively and defensively.
- The Angels' Spring Training battle to watchon February 18, 2019 at 10:20 pm
The next five weeks will see lots of shuffling on Major League rosters. Here are the most intriguing positional battles on each of the 30 MLB clubs.
- Upton out with tendinitis; Harvey starts to throwby Rhett Bollinger on February 18, 2019 at 8:34 pm
The Angels will be without left fielder Justin Upton early in Spring Training, as he's dealing with right knee patellar tendinitis but is expected to be ready for Opening Day, manager Brad Ausmus said on Monday.
- Trout on contract talks: 'I don't want to comment'by Rhett Bollinger on February 18, 2019 at 6:54 pm
Mike Trout and owner Arte Moreno met separately with the media on Monday, but neither would confirm that extension talks have begun between the Angels and Trout's agent, Craig Landis.
- Reasons for optimism for each MLB clubby Richard Justice on February 18, 2019 at 1:02 am
On this opening week of Spring Training, all 30 Major League teams have one thing in common: optimism. Here's an optimism cheat sheet for each of them.
- Ohtani focused on next step of hitting off teeby Rhett Bollinger on February 17, 2019 at 6:55 pm
Shohei Ohtani is continuing to make progress in his rehab from Tommy John surgery. On Sunday, he said he is hopeful he'll be able to start hitting off a tee in the next week.
- Pujols healthy, aims to be ready Opening Dayby Rhett Bollinger on February 17, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Angels first baseman Albert Pujols met with the media for the first time this spring on Sunday and said he's fully healthy after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on his left knee in late August.
- Halos announce Minor League coaching staffsby Rhett Bollinger on February 16, 2019 at 7:14 pm
The Angels announced their Minor League coaching staffs on Saturday, including former Major League catcher Lou Marson being named the new manager of Triple-A Salt Lake and former big leaguer David Newhan as the new skipper at Double-A Birmingham.
- Angels ink veteran Jennings to Minors dealby Rhett Bollinger on February 16, 2019 at 5:45 pm
The Angels added a veteran lefty reliever, as Dan Jennings officially signed a Minor League deal on Saturday and joined the club for workouts at the club's Spring Training complex. Jennings will earn $1 million, plus incentives, if he makes the club.
- Healthy Cozart eyes bounce-back seasonby Rhett Bollinger on February 15, 2019 at 7:36 pm
After undergoing surgery in late June to repair a torn left labrum in his left shoulder that required nine anchors to be inserted to keep everything in place, Zack Cozart is healthy and looking for a bounce-back season with the Angels.
- Where are Trout, Ohtani on Top 100 Right Now?by David Adler on February 15, 2019 at 3:00 am
The 2019 MLB season feels so close now. Spring Training has begun. Players are taking the field. So it's time to rank the best of the best.
- Prospects who should vie for a roster spotby Jim Callis, Jonathan Mayo and Mike Rosenbaum on February 14, 2019 at 11:36 pm
The 30 prospects below all are getting very long looks this spring with an eye toward breaking camp with the parent club. Even if they start the year in the Minors, they all should get the chance to contribute at some point in the very near future.
- The next Ohtani? Walsh to get two-way shotby Rhett Bollinger on February 14, 2019 at 8:36 pm
After Ohtani's nearly unprecedented two-way success during his American League Rookie of the Year campaign last year, more clubs are looking into the possibility of having players who can both pitch and play a position. Walsh fits that bill, as he has been a power-hitting first baseman and outfielder in the Minors, but he's made 10 pitching appearances over the past three seasons as well. The Angels are experimenting with him doing both this spring and this upcoming season.
- Harvey strains glute, out for a week and a halfby Rhett Bollinger on February 14, 2019 at 7:21 pm
Right-hander Matt Harvey sustained a glute strain while participating in agility drills on Wednesday and will be out for roughly a week and a half, Angels manager Brad Ausmus said Thursday.
- Ohtani upbeat about Tommy John rehabby Rhett Bollinger on February 13, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Shohei Ohtani, who is aiming for a return in May as a designated hitter but won't pitch in 2019, isn't able to participate in the on-field workouts with his teammates, but has progressed to swinging the bat and working out indoors.
- Angels' hope: Ohtani returns as DH in Mayby Rhett Bollinger on February 12, 2019 at 8:21 pm
Brad Ausmus held his first media session of the spring on the day pitchers and catchers officially reported on Tuesday, giving updates on rehabbing players such as Shohei Ohtani, Albert Pujols and Zack Cozart.
- Ausmus eager to guide Halos as camp opensby Rhett Bollinger on February 12, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Spring Training is officially here for the Angels, with pitchers and catchers reporting to Tempe Diablo Stadium on Tuesday. And there's a new face at manager, with Brad Ausmus replacing longtime skipper Mike Scioscia this offseason.
- 30 low-key acquisitions who could pay off bigon February 12, 2019 at 5:57 pm
Fans and analysts spend the entire offseason speculating where the top free agents could go, but sometimes an under-the-radar pickup can end up making a world of difference. As positional competitions begin to heat up at Spring Training camps this month, MLB.com's beat writers were asked to identify one potentially overlooked acquisition for each of the 30 clubs. Here's who they came up with.
- Uniform patch to mark 150 years of pro baseballby David Adler on February 12, 2019 at 2:09 pm
All 30 Major League teams will wear special "MLB 150" patches on their uniforms for the entire 2019 season in honor of the 150th anniversary of the 1869 Cincinnati Red Stockings, the first openly all-salaried professional baseball team.
- Predicting the Angels' Opening Day rosterby Rhett Bollinger on February 11, 2019 at 3:19 pm
The Angels head to Spring Training with most of their roster set, but there will be competition for a few spots. Here's a look at the projected roster for the Angels, as they begin their first campaign under manager Brad Ausmus.
- Trout pops up at Lakers-Sixers game in Phillyby Adrian Garro on February 10, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Trout pops up at Lakers-Sixers game in Philly
- Limited to DH, Ohtani's at-bats still must-watchby Rhett Bollinger on February 10, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Shohei Ohtani remains a must-watch player for Angels fans in 2019, and his recovery from Tommy John surgery will be worth monitoring throughout the season as he prepares to pitch again in '20.
- Simmons ranks among game's beston February 10, 2019 at 12:00 am
MLB Network's countdown of baseball's best players at each position continued with the third installment of the "Top 10 Right Now!" series, featuring the game's top left and center fielders.